Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Stormin...

For reasons of clarity, this is not a post for sympathy, rather it is a document of my own astonishment at not being particularly perturbed by recent goings-on.

A brief summary of recent events:
  1. Central heating/hot water boiler defunct and in need of expensive repairs
  2. Front left centre tooth crown has snapped off at the gumline, leaving me with a new look that couldn’t even charitably be described as “piratical” or “rakish”. “Pikey” would be nearer the mark...
  3. Windscreen of car has just received an unwelcome belt from a flying stone and now got three long cracks in it, so needs replacing
  4. The car’s already not running right and will need an unspecified amount of work on it
  5. My mum’s poorly after having a muscle in her back go into spasm and is now unable to walk
  6. I’m months behind the writing for the Lahost album
It just gets funnier and funnier, no?

And the most frustrating thing is that this is all in the midst of a tidal wave of work that I’ve been after for years - I’ve spent the last six to nine months craftily working on getting a particular firm to start handing us work and, lo and behold, they throw a ridiculous amount our way.

I’m also at the stage of hair growth that only a mother could love, between mid-length and long. Usually described as a mess. I would post a picture, but I keep it under a hat most of the time. Here’s an example from Niagara Falls, courtesy of the excellent Caroline.


Mmmm, plenty of plates in the air, no? ;-)

Luckily I am blessed with a mental amount of absolutely top friends who always rally round and say just the right thing to keep me on track. They’re ace, and indeed ‘skill’.

More blogging when the tiger I have by the tail stops being so stroppy and submits.

12 Comments:

At 3:42 am, Blogger ME said...

Wow. Maybe you should have stayed here an extra week. Apparently my lucky-charmedness doesn't work once you cross the Canadian border.

Sorry you're having such a rough go, mate. Hope your mom feels better soon and that hot water/heat return to your home soon as well.

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

Aw, thanks hon! ;-)

I'm really seriously astonished at how ‘un-bothered’ I am by it, or at least, not running around going “ah, the world’s falling apart around me, what do I do?!”.

It’s lovely and sunny outside, the mobile car-fixer man is arriving in about 30 minutes and all is progressing well.

I think that my trip to the Colonies has done me nothing but good. :-)

How are the sales going?

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger ME said...

No real news to report on anything. Lots of to-ing and fro-ing on a bunch of stuff that still amounts to nothing solid. People are still all caught up in L.A. screenings, NHL finals and the weather.

Have you eaten your way through all the treats you lugged home?

 
At 9:03 pm, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Good gracious. Karma is after your ass. What did you do to piss it off?

Or maybe this is setting you up for an awesome reward. Like Job. He got rewarded right? Didn't he get all his stuff back?

 
At 1:16 am, Blogger potdoll said...

ouch. i'm not into your mum's bad back. hope it gets better soon.

i couldn't cope with that toothlessnessess!

 
At 2:06 am, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

Got a tiger by the tail, eh? Well, just remember there's TEETH at the Other End! Good Luck!

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger IQCrash said...

Chin up, brother. Everything eventually gets better. Hopefully.

 
At 6:43 pm, Blogger Lara said...

Jeez. You must've been one bad mutha in a previous life, RW. You poor sod - I would normally say if one particular thing had happened there was a lesson to learn from it, but not too sure what to say in your case...

Hope your Mum is better now. :0)

 
At 10:57 am, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

Not entirely sure it was in a previous life... ;-)

Mother on the mend now, car soon to be fixed and, if I can find a reliable plumber, boiler should be fixed in the next couple of days.

What next, I wonder? I hope Emily's right and I've got some corking good stuff coming my way.

Thanks all for the good wishes for my mum.

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger Brian Sibley said...

Time for an update!

How's Mum?

Are the storms abating?

Hope so...

 
At 12:05 am, Blogger jimhenshaw said...

I'm uncertain why such things have been sent to beset you, old son. In order...
1. When you were in the Colonies, I heard many stories about an "extremely attractive and talented Dutch girlfriend". Seems she is eminently capable of pulling a Plumber down the pub and having the boiler attended to, no?
2. Go for the Pirate look. Quite suitable for an almost middle aged rock star (look what it's done for Keith) and don't tell people it broke off, keep up appearances and put it down to the ravages of speed or crystal meth.
3 & 4. Are there no mechanics down the pub? And surely there's a roadie in your past who's not above making the frail carriage disappear...?
5. With the insurance money from said missing vehicle, you could drive Mum everywhere she needs to go in the comfort of a new environmentally friendly model.
6. Surely recounting all of the above falls well within the Lahost oevre.

There. Problems solved. And the first pint when you come back is on me.

Jim

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger Sal said...

sorry things are rough for you at the moment, and hope they improve - and if its any comfort, the rough n hairy look is pretty cool, IMHO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home