Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Normal Service

Like there’s ever been anything remotely like normal service around here, I must say...

I’m off to the Netherlands for the first break in quite some time, even though I’m taking a bunch of work with me and my trusty ol’ beaten-up Powerbook so I can do some work while all my Dutch mates run around after some telly people.

It was while doing a photographic job a few years back that I seemingly made about twenty instant (and very good) friends at a sci-fi convention in Scheveningen in the Netherlands.
Fact fans: Scheveningen is a Dutch shibboleth. During World War Two, the natives could identify foreigners by their foolhardy attempts to stagger through the pronunciation, often swallowing their own tongues. Apparently, at this time (and for reasons which will forever remain shrouded in mystery) the Germans stole every single bicycle in the country. Ask any Dutchman. Or woman.
Anyway, a dear friend of mine is an actor who was once in the sort of show that has a currency at these events and, as he was going to be there, doing the photography seemed like it would be a jolly trip somewhere new. My brother and his then girlfriend (now wife) came along and we had an absolute blast. So much so that, when it came time for brother David’s bachelor party, we immediately headed for the same hotel (the Bilderberg) and spent a thoroughly fabulous, low-key weekend shooting zombies in the arcade, playing air-hockey and being gigantic children at the seaside. Only with more money. ;-)

This weekend sees the very last event organised by the Utopia crowd and the “old guard” are getting together to see it out in style. As an honorary, English-speaking, stumble-through-some-Dutch part of the crew, I’ll muck in where necessary, probably from my vantage point of a deeply convivial bar... I will undoubtedly be surrounded by the full spectrum of fandom, from boggle-eyed fruit-loops through to those who, with humour and good grace, share a deep love of some terrific shows.

Oh, and there’ll be some people off the telly too.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 am, Blogger Alex said...

Woohoo!! I'm definitely one of the boggle-eyed fruit-loops!

And I learned about Shibboleths. Can this day get any better?

 
At 12:51 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

My dear boy, you’ll always be a boggle-eyed fruit-loop to me. ;-)

Always glad to inform as well as entertain...

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger Sal said...

have fun in the low lands

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Riddley Walker said...

What a top weekend. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home